UNIVERSITY OF RAJASTHAN
- All Heads of the University Teaching/Non-Teaching Department/Unit, Jaipur.
- All the Principals, Univ.Constituent Colleges, Jaipur.
- Directors, PG Schools/Library/Podar Institute, UOR, Jaipur.
- Chief Warden,Wardens of University Hostels, Jaipur.
- Admn. Secy. to V.C/C.E./All Dy. Registrars/Ps to Registrar, UOR, Jaipur.
| No:- A&F/Audit/2005/472-571
Sub:- Maintenance of regular accounts record and compliance of financial procedures and discipline.
It has come to the notice of the undersigned that various books of accounts are not maintained on a regular basis in various Colleges/Department/Units of the University. Not Only this, when Cashier or Drwing & Disbursing Officers of Head of the Authority concerned with the accounts job of the Deptt./College/Unit is transferred and charge is handed over taken over, proper charge of the Cash, Stores, other articles, records is not handed over properly but sometimes the Cash Books Continue Unsigned by the DDOs passing from one person to another without any signatures of so many persons during the intervening period. This results in a state of affairs of total financial indiscipline and may lead to cases of embezzlement misappropriation and heavy losses to the University funds, stores etc. and also gives an impression of total non-accounting, irresponsible and negligent behaviour as for as maintenance of records is concerned.
Hence any official handing the cash/stores must make a proper charge on transfer and the new incumbent must take a proper charge of cash and stores as the case may be, and the relevant accounts record like cash book, ledger etc. be also handed over/taken over up to date. This also applies in respect of Drawing & Disbursing officer of whatever level or designation one might be. Cash book is the primary book of cash accounts which must be filled up daily and the DDo has to initial it satisfying himself about the transactions with supporting vouchers on a day to day regular basis. This small routine job if neglecred, is the start of irregularities which leads to several serious irregularities like embezzlement, losses etc.
Hence it is directed that all cash books and accounts reords in various offices of the University be maintained on a regular day to day basis by all concerned. It may be also ensured by ensured by various constrolling authorities that this direction is complied strictly.
Instructions/guidcline for maintenance of cash book is enclosed herewith.
Comptroller of Finance &
Enclosed:- As above
Instructions/guidelines for Maintenance of Cash book
- Two column cash book as prescribed is to maintained by each of office for all the cash and book transactions on the set principles of maintenance of cash book. Separate cash book for University Fund and Local should be maintained.
- Before making any entry of payment and receipt the head of expenditure or head of revenue has to be written with red ink.
- The narration of each entry below the head of expenditure/head of revenue is invariably be given legibly
- The number of cash receipts/credit vouchers should be mentioned with every of receipt under proper column without which no entry be drawn on receipt side of the book.
- Voucher number on payment side had to be given invariably in seritum without of witch no entry be drawn on payment side.
- The amount of entry relating to receipt of cash be posted in cash column of the receipt side.
- the amount of transactions relating to bank i.e. for deposit of montlhly documents be posted in the bank column on receipt side.
- For all withdrawals of money through self cheques or deposit of cash into bank, the 'C' (contra entry) is to the mentioned invariably in the column of ledger folio.
- All payments through cheques be posted in the Bank column on payment side.
- A register of all cheques/drafts recerived from the Central office for disbursement be incorporated in a register of cheques and drafts recerived for disbursements.
- A register of money orders received is to maintained for all the money received through Money order.
- As per provisions of Rule 29 all the transactions of money should be recorded in the cash book at once on the same day on which the transaction took place.
- No private money be mixed with the money of the office. As per Rule 30 mixing of local fund cashwith the University fund cash is prohibited. It has been oberve that one cash receipt is being generally issued for local fund fee and Univ. Fee be specifically mentioned on each and every cash receipt so issued. The total cash so collected be deposited daily in separate two bank accounts maintained for the purpose. In the units where fee is colected through monetary documents viz. drafts, postal orders, the necessary transfer of local fund fee be made periodically but the period in any case be not more than a month. Thus separate cash book is to be maintained for local fund transactions.
- No direct appropriation of money/cash towards any expenditure be made in violation of Rule 31 of University Account Rules, Part-I
- As per rule 48 of UAR all the money collected be remitted to the University either on the same day or latest by the following day. It should be in no case, used against the departmental expenditure. The University money be not detained for more than 7 days in any case.
- Every entry of payment be supported by voucher duly passed by the competent authorith. All the vochers marked and enter drawn in seriatum be filed in a systematic manner and Should be kept for all the time. No loose. voucher be kept in the office after payment Similarly, each entery of payment should be supported eithr by cash receipts, credit voucher prepared on the basis of register of money orders, register of cheques/darfts etc. All the credit voucher be filed serially in a file.
- Every paid voucher should contain the receipt of the actual payee as per Rule 70(a) of Univ. Accounts Rules the payment of each voucher be made only after obtaining stamped receipt except a payments of amount upto 5000/- as per provision of Stamped Duty Act. A list of payments exempted from Stamped duty act as detailed in GF & AR is enclosed for refence.
- Separate entry for each vaucher is to be made in the cash book No entry be combined of containing 2-3 vouchers. At the most for reducing number of entries on ledger entry of every voucher be drawn in inner column separately and the total of the same under one head be drawn in the main column of cash/bank as the case may be.
- In case of undisbursed of amount remained for 2-3 more persons from a conslidated vaucher of payment such as salary, over-time etc., payment actually made be shown on the day of dusbursement, but the details of the undisbursed balance. on the main voucher, be invariably given after balancing the cash book of that particular day. Any lapse on this accounts will be viewed serious laps.
Subsequently, the payment made for undisbursed amount the name of the person and also the voucher number and the cause/purpose of the payment is invariably be mentioned while making payment of further dates.
- As per Rule 76(a), cash books are to be closed balanced and signed daily by the head of the office.
- Physical verification of cash is required invariably at the end of the month by the head of office as per Rule 77. The head of office will sign that the cash has been physically checked and the details of the cash as well as other relevant papers relating to payments/cash are as follows, i.e.the break-up cash and monctary documents etc. are inveriably to be mentioned along with details of undisbursed amount in hand.
- The periodical bank reconciliation is to be carried out invariably
- Ledger posting of each bead of transaction is to made in the ledger for each cash book. Periodical trial balance has to be drawn so as to cheek the mathematical accuracy of the transaction recorded.
- While opening new cash book it has to be ensured that the pages of cash book are only numbered if not the same raay be numbered and a certificate be recorded that the cash book contains so many pages.
- Over-writing in the cash book/ledger is prohibited. Where necessary the cutting of wrong figure be initialed and a correct legible figure should be written by the same ink preferably with red ink. Every outing should also be signed by the head of office.
- No entry be drawn without making a payment to the actual payee. In case of such lapses the cash found in chest will be taken as excess as and will be credited on the receipt side of the cash book. No plea on this account will be accepred.
- The cash in hand is not to be kept for more than the requicement to a week. As per Rule 61 of Univ. Accounts Rule. Part I payments for all supplies and services be made through cheque. The petty payments be made only from imprest.